Ortho K is ideal for low-mid short sighted people who:
- Want clear natural vision all day - every day
- Find soft contact lenses do not fulfil the comfort demands their life-style places on their eyes
- Are involved in recreational and sports activities where periods without wearing contact lenses is ideal
- Have considered refractive surgery because of the freedom it provides, but are worried about the risks
So how is this possible?
Very simply, Ortho K is a specially designed contact lens that reverses the power of the cornea, at the front of the eye during overnight wear. Once the full effect has taken place, the eye is effectively ‘normal’ and can see clearly during the day.
With Ortho K you will benefit from:
- Freedom from contact lenses and glasses during the day
- Very easy adaptation, only overnight lens wear required
- A comfortable, semi-permanent alternative for the correction of short sightedness
- A safe and reversible vision correction therapy without surgery
Can Orthokeratology really control short-sightedness? Is Ortho K suitable for children?
Many studies have shown that lenses like EyeDream can reduce the progression of short-sightedness, reducing the likelihood of associated problems in adulthood. The effect is not guaranteed, as results vary for individual children, but it has never been shown to make children more short-sighted. An additional benefit of this, is that spectacles don't have to be changed as a child's short-sight worsens. A list and description of these studies can be found here:
With Ortho K all lens wear is done overnight so the lenses aren’t worn out of the house, which means less worry about lost lenses, or spectacles! Also, daytime is free of specs and lens wear so children can take part in all activities and sports without having to worry about their vision.
Ortho K may also be beneficial to education, as studies have indicated that children are likely to perform better at school if they do not wear spectacles.
Thousands of Happy Patients
Ortho K utilises the tried and tested lens design that has been available in Europe since 2002 and currently boasts thousands of happy patients. Ortho K is available to patients with the following degrees of short sightedness:
- A spherical spectacle prescription of -0.75D up to -4.50D
- Astigmatism of up to -2.50D
A qualified Ortho K eye care practitioner, will have attended an extensive programme of training prior to treating patients in order to be better familiarised with the technique and lens design. Your practitioner will be able to advise you as to your suitability for Ortho K. You can find a qualified practitioner here.